Sunday, August 22, 2010

Short North Observation




Lately at night I've seen a man around town. There's a reason it's always after dark and he's memorable. A rare disorder has caused boils to sprout all-over his skin. I'm not talking about a cluster of 10 or 20. Literally, every square inch of exposed skin is covered by small to large dangling sacks of liquid. His face looks like a giant raspberry with eyes and lips ... you can't even make out hair or ears. His head is usually covered by a fisherman's hat. He wears gloves and pulls his collar up, anything to help hide his terrible curse, playing the lead in a real life horror movie.


I'll never forget the first time we crossed paths. On my way home from work I'd stopped at the Dairy Mart for a pack of smokes. He was at the counter chatting with the clerk. As I walked in we made eye contact for a split second. Startled, shocked, afraid, a gasp my have even escaped my lips. I looked away and darted to the back of the store, feeling like a child who had just seen the boogeyman. No one could blame me. Nothing can prepare you for that. A visual sucker punch. I never saw it coming.

Despite my unintentional and unavoidable reaction, I was ashamed. I knew that everyday of his life he saw "that look" ... the one that had been on my face. The look of terror, than disgust and finally pity. My response was yet another drop in a depressingly full bucket. Who knows, maybe he enjoys scaring the shit out of people; a small level of payback for the awful hand God has dealt him. It's plausible he doesn't even notice anymore. At the places he frequents most are no doubt used to his condition but in his private moments, when he has time to reflect, he probably hates us all equally. Hates us because we complain about bills and girlfriends. Oblivious to real problems and deep anguish. Hates us because we're normal looking and he's not. He has every right to be the most bitter person that ever lived.

After sliding back into my car I watched him munch on his Cheetos and sip his fountain drink while waiting at a crosswalk. I didn't want to feel sorry for him but did ... deeply. Once the initial shock was gone it was plain to see he wasn't a monster at all. Just another human being roaming the earth. Enjoying a snack from the corner store. As the light changed a motorcycle stopped just in front of him. He was inspecting the bike as he passed through the intersection, an obvious admirer. Before turning his head and walking out of sight I'll be damned if I didn't see him smile. A few seconds later he was gone. I Turned the key and my car's engine roared to life. Shifting into gear, I'd forgotten whatever personal injustice I was worried about when I pulled up.


-J.R.




2 comments:

  1. Really amazing post. It's weird that we all immediately judge and then feel guilty. When will we learn to turn off the judging and just feel kindness first...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Three years later ... THANK YOU SO MUCH! I've been going threw some of my old stuff and this one still leaves a big impact on me.

    ReplyDelete