Wednesday, December 30, 2009

To Thom, Whom it May Concern


*** NOTE: This was an e-mail I wrote Spin in response to the December '09 issue in which they claimed Radiohead "kinda blow" ... Thoughts? Anyone? Here's the link ... http://www.spin.com/myths



Dear Spin,

Kudos to your magazine, its' amazing editing staff, and surprisingly talented team of writers. All of you have continually exceeded my expectations, unlike other "quality" music mags (ehh hemmm, Rolling Stone), which have done nothing overall but give me false hope and vast disappointment. God damn them for changing the format from the original over-sized, easy to convert mini-poster pages of my youth to the rag I see loitering on newsstands around the world.

And don't even get me started on whom they've given the "privilege" of being on their cover, (Jonas Brothers? Really? Selling your soul to Disney like the rest?) Only because you have shown me the way, which has renewed my faith in all that rocks, will I re-new my subscription that I got as a free gift with my Bonnaroo ticket ... bloody brilliant marketing by the way. Only for a year though, because let's face it, times are tough, and I, like many others, scrap to pay the rent, working jobs I hate. You guys have earned that $7.95!

That said, you're fucking wrong about Radiohead. I'm no fan boy, my musical tastes are extremely eclectic, spanning from Wu-Tang Clan, to Johnny Cash and back again, but I dig Thom and his droogs. They have done what no other band could do; define the undefinable generation ... my generation. Think about it, who is the quintessential band of the last 20 years?

Pearl Jam? Too preachy

Green Day? Too commercial

Phish? Too jammy

Beck? Too strange

Oasis? Too volatile

U2? Too Bono

That leaves only the boys from Oxfordshire in my book. Who comes after Gen X? I heard the term Gen Y thrown around but really we are the Radiohead generation; all ambient noise with no clear path or direction, just like the band. We are a result of the times, and they are a-changin'. We are uncertain, confused, disoriented, and unable to make up our minds... just like said band.

They most certainly do not "blow" as Mr. Norris so aptly put it. He goes on to ask, "must they define a new music language?" I would respond no, they have already defined a generation. He does bring up some valid points,their songs can get repetitive, and I've never seen them live, so some will say I should shut my mouth. However, all of their tunes are designed to function within the framework of an album, which is a lost art in my opinion. Radiohead isn't the best playlist to shuffle on your ipod.

Either way the Dec. issue was a fabulous read, keep it coming guys, and publish this! I fancy myself a writer so there's more where this came from.


-J.R.




2 comments:

  1. Good argument pro-blowno Radiohead. My theory is that Radiohead is the musical equivilant of a handjob. A handjob with no climax. It feels good and isnt unpleasant while it lasts. What it does not do is peak... ever. It stays baseline and leaves you with a unsatisfied feeling. There is not emotion. Its like these guys got into mothers purse, munched up all of the lithium and decided to lay down some tracks. If you are searching for a band that can make you feel something other than a middle school halfjob, look no further than NIN and TOOL. Emotion: check, intelligence: check, creativity and breaking new ground: yes..... Has radiohead done anything you say has never been done before musically? I would also prefer to hear something emotional, raw and unsafe compared to the aural XANAX that is Radiohead. Listen to 46 & 2....15 times. Then understand the lyrics. Then know the most intelligent and insightful song probably ever written.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent comments. The handjob ref is app; Tool and NIN are most certainly more hardcore. Akin to animal like love making in their scoop and energy ("Closer" comes to mind). However, I and most Radiohead fans, would argue that they do climax as well, although in a subtler way.

    Thom York most certainly puts feelings and emotion into his work but I can see why some may think he is on heavy anti-depressants. The lazy eye, the listlessness, the seizure like dance spasms. Lastly, the band has most CERTAINLY done things musically that I had never heard before. Not their fault everyone else is trying to sound like them.

    All that said, I love Tool and Nine Inch Nails. I saw NIN at Bonnaroo last year, check out the post, it was fucking awesome. Tool is in my top-5 must see list, so the first chance I get I'm there, a post would follow shortly. Thanks for your input! Keep me reading and continue to keep me in line.

    ReplyDelete