Wednesday, September 30, 2009

KOL vs. Arctic Monkeys (Conclusion)



** Note from author: I recommend reading this series in order, starting with the intro ... or read the conclusion first, intro last ... or any other conceivable combination. **




Procrastination is every writer's nemesis. In truth, I can only speak for myself, but I find it tightening its clutches around me often. I have more story ideas than I have funds to cover them. More random thoughts/rants than I have time to scribble down or refine on my desk top. It's a frustrating feeling but for right now writing doesn't pay the bills, so I have little alternative. I have to work bullshit part-time jobs when I'd rather be refining my craft ... or procrastinating. By this I mean bar hoping, girl chasing, Netflixs watching, etc, etc. I write because I enjoy it, but sometimes I enjoy simpler pleasures more. The dream is to make a living off what I create but Conrad said it best, "art is long and life is short."

It took me double the time I feel it should have to compose these entrees and as a result I am backed up. Much, much, much more to follow soon. First and foremost, both shows were stupendous and only strengthened my fanhood for either band. I highly recommend seeing both if you have the opportunity and or means. So without further ah do, here are my conclusions and final grades:



VENUE

Shottenstein Center, (Kings of Leon):

-larger scale for a large scale band
-almost totally full, tickets sold out, but are they 'selling out'?
-band is so popular, playing smaller venue not practical (but that would be sweet)
-arena is a marvel of modern architecture, very new/clean, but best for viewing basketball
-bigger, louder, flashier ... more expensive as well


Grade: A-


Newport Music Hall, (Arctic Monkeys):

-smaller, more intimate, much closer to stage on average
-less people but crowded because of buildings size, balcony is big help
-right size for band, they can't fill an arena (yet)
-classic architecture, very old, somewhat dirty, kind of smelly
-mid level venue, definitely a step up from a dive bar with live music

Grade: A



PERFORMANCE

KOL

-came out a little flat, heated up by the end, encore was top notch-lead singer unable to screech out some impossible to hit high notes (Charmer)
-later found out they were all sick, points for playing hurt
-lead guitar was crystal clear, drummer on point, played everything I wanted to hear
-not a big enough sound, felt they skimped on speakers, I wanted it louder


Grade: B


Arctic Monkeys

-came out on fire, played three of their fastest songs first
-singer sounded great, had an amazing look/feel going
-drummer is phenomenal, maybe most talented member of band
-taking nothing away from guitars, fast and furious, pace was outstanding

-no Mardy Bum, bummer ... too much new stuff, left out some of my favorites (partially my fualt, hadn't heard new album they were on tour for)

Grade: A-



CROWD

KOL

-varied greatly in age, style, and level of attention they actually paid to performance
-floor level and most of lower bowl area very into it, most of upper level not so much
-crowd seemed split somewhat, between 'new' and 'old' fans
-more girls than guys, most very attractive and very much under the legal drinking age
-a noticeable number of people in our section left early, super lame


Grade: C


Arctic Monkeys

-all 20 somethings, more guys than girls
-everyone was definitely feeling it, first ten rows from stage were pure chaos
-crowds over all intensity only picked up, never dwindled, mass crowd surfing
-everyone was more cohesive as a group, no feeling of 'new/old' fans
-new stuff was hit or miss


Grade: A



ADVENTURE INDEX

KOL

-one of my top five must see, just going had my adrenalin pumping
-buzz was in top form, amazing pot and good beer
-companion seemed a little distant, not as into the tunes as I was
-seats were awful
-guys were slightly off their game, even if it was Swine flU

Grade: B-


Arctic Monkeys

-a new favorite, not quite as much anticipation but I was still amped for show
-fully drunk by the end, to excess; too much bourbon not enough weed
-companion was in better spirits and into the music, but unable to hang out after
-view from balcony was money
-performance was flawless, even if the set list wasn't

Grade: A-




FINAL GRADES

KOL: B-

Arctic Monkeys: A-


What can I say; I'm a sucker for the smaller venue, although the Kings were in no position to play such a venue. If you can sell out an arena then that's what you do, it just make sense (and dollars). The goal is to blow up. Call it commercialization or selling out if you want but if you could fill up 15,000 seats at $45-$100 a pop wouldn't you? I bet the Arctic Monkeys would. Overall it was a wonderful way to end the month. Do yourself a favor and become familiar with both bands if you haven't already and by all means go see them. Stay tuned, more to come ...

-J.R.







No comments:

Post a Comment